Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

On Dec 19, 2005, at 5:18 PM, Carlo Caballero wrote:
Very interesting exchange between Robert and Russ today, even if
it's off
topic. About this observation...:

Quoting Robert Holmgren :
It's offensive. I watch experts manipulate them, and I can't
believe my eyes -- the rinky-dink of it all, the euphemisms, the curtain
drawn
over everything that's actually happening.
Russ admits "there may be some justification to that statement." I
wonder
if Robert is in part referring to the attitude embodied in the slick
"Genius Bars" in the Apple stores. Was it on this list that I heard this
story--that one of these Geniuses told a user that his immobilized G4
"needed to be blessed," a ceremonial performed behind the stainless steel
bar?
This may have been me. I don't recall if i told that story here or
not. My G4 cube had lost its System folder. The process is called
"blessing" the system folder and it refers to getting your system
folder to be recognized as THE System Folder. The OS, at least under
OS 9 could get confused and lose the pointer to your system folder.
To "bless" your system folder, you move that folder outside to
another directory pause then move it back to the system folder
location. (I learned this from the guy at the genius bar. He showed
me and explained it to me. No secrets! :)
The whole pseudo-liturgical, azure-and-white, lit-from-behind
atmosphere gets on one's nerves. And it's a deliberate part of the image.
On the one hand, the curtain was drawn; the user learned nothing.
Every time they've showed me what they did, and how i could
troubleshoot it on my own next time.
On the
other hand, the Genius fixed it, he did it on the spot, and he did it for
free.
The antidote is to find someone who actually knows about a whole range of
OSes but has gained real expertise with OS X and can *explain* and
*demonstrate* their understanding.
You're right. I've found several good books on extensive
troubleshooting, and did the last batch myself, so I'm getting there.
They're rare birds, but they exist.

Carlo
CarloC@xxxxxxxx