Re: a show of hands, pls

[Annie Fisher] ... wrote:

> Does anyone feel a compelling need for the virus
> warnings posted to this list?

I think not.

> Does anyone trust
> Harmon Seaver's advice on *any* issue on which he
> asserts expertise? Does anyone have convincing evidence
> that Harmon Seaver has ever used xyWrite? Does anyone
> have compelling evidence that Harmon Seaver knows
> *anything*?

As far as I know, there is no compelling evidence that there is such a
person as Harmon Seaver. It has long been my theory that this entity is
simply an Artificial Intelligence, although quite an amusing and
provocative one at that, lurking on the Penn State server. But then
again, you have no compelling evidence that I exist. Perhaps I, too, am
an AI. Perhaps I have a twin entity zooming away at a point 180 degrees
from me far faster than the speed of light. But then again, probably
not.

> Is anyone weary of msgs posted by folks
> too lazy? timid? dumb? to query forums where the
> subjects they address are the central topic, but who
> don't hesitate to treat this list as an all-purpose
> garbage can?

I am very weary. Just more evidence that while it is quite likely the
meek will inherit the earth, by then it won't be worth very much.

> Does anyone know the purpose of this list?

It's a nice break from thinking up XPL routines. OTOH, I _could_ be
playing Sim City or Civilization II or listening to Sarah McLachlan CDs.
In fact, I probably should be.

> Does anyone know if this list *has* a purpose? --a

"Vanity of Vanities. All is vanity and a thirsting after wind."

Excuse me, gotta run. The Vikings are asking for 350 in gold or they're
gonna declare war and I have to build some city walls in a hurry. Later,
dudes!

--Leslie--