Re: New monitor/bad resolution

Dear Leslie

I haven't been following this thread closely, but if you are planning to
try to find another LCD monitor then you need to bear in mind that all
LCD monitors should ideally be operated at the resolution corresponding
to the size of the LCD array. So with the hardware you have you
probably want to look for a 1024x768 or a 1280x1024 LCD monitor. Then
you will be able to operate it in its native resolution. Neither of
these is a wide screen display (one is 4x3 the other 5x4).

So far as I know, Clear Type was only introduced with Windows XP so you
won't find it with ME.

Best wishes

Paul Breeze

Leslie Savan wrote:
Harry, Starting with your last question below: How does my basic C:prompt (MS-DOS) box look? It doesn't look like Flash's screenshot, which is: "Xy3+" Properties, then across the top: Option, Font, Layout, Color. Mine reads: "MS-Dos Editor," then: Program, Font, Memory, Screen, Misc. No matter which way I enter Xy/DOS, the Properties box looks the same. Likewise, I'm not able to find Lucinda Console anywhere or, for that matter, Clear Type, which sounds terrific and something I'd to use regardless of how this ends. (The closest that a search of the hard-drive produced was ClearDot and Cool Type. If you know of another place to look, please let me know.) But after reading your comment below, I'm convinced you're absolutely right: Since I can't get the "native"1400 x 900 pixel resolution that Dell's CD instructions cited, this monitor just isn't going to work for me, no matter how much I tinker w/ it. So, given my system's apparent limitations (no Lucinda, no Clear Type, etc.), and its specs (a Millennium with Xywrite III Plus, Version 3.56), what should I look for in a new monitor? I did try each of the resolutions and they were all worse than the best one I can get: 1280x800. Should I look for a monitor that lists one of the resolutions that I do have? (The full list in order: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x800, 1280x1024) I would prefer an LCD (more desk space and less radiation than a CRT--though maybe that's no longer true?) If anyone can recommend a specific model to try, that'd be great. Especially if you find it works on an ME. If they no longer make monitors that jibe with the ME's available resolutions, then will the graphic adaptor make everything look normal? You said, Harry, "if I want to spring for it." How many hundreds are we talking about? Thank you all, Leslie ----- Original Message ----- *From:* Harry Binswanger mailto:hb@xxxxxxxx *To:* xywrite@xxxxxxxx xywrite@xxxxxxxx *Sent:* Monday, December 29, 2008 12:13 AM *Subject:* Re: New monitor/bad resolution Leslie, It sounds like your problem is that you can't set the new monitor to its "native" (preferred) resolution. I've seen the phenomenon before--fat letters, thin letters, blurry letters. It goes away if you get the right resolution. Try lots of different resolution settings under Display Properties/Settings. If it really needs 1400 x 900 and you can't get, or don't want to spring for, a graphic adapter for your Dell that will supply 1400 x 900, then don't use this monitor. Wrong resolution is no doubt the basic cause of your problem. But in addition, if you get that solved, there are tweaks: 1. Turn on Clear Type. It's in Display Properties/Appearance/Effects. It will improve everything, Windows and Dos alike. But it's like a 30% improvement--noticeable, welcome, but not on the level of getting the resolution right. 2. If you are running Xy in a Window, I strongly advise using Lucida Console. Follow Flash's screenshots, "Step 1" and "Step 2." How does the regular C: prompt (MS-DOS) box look on your system? Otherwise, using Tame would raise Xy up to whatever imperfect level your windows programs have. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx