Re: old software (45: GOfer)

" On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Leslie Bialler wrote:
" > A poster to the list confesses:
" > > Me, I perversely persist in using GOfer.
" > (geez: would _you_ upgrade a product for people who
" > prefer GOfer to Netscape?).
" Wrong rodent. The Gopher you're thinking of was the text-based menuing
" interface for internet access to files and Gopher sites that was
" (briefly) such a Minnesota-spawned boon before the Mosaic GUI arrived
" bringing the world wide (graphical) wait in 1993.
"
" The GOfer crankily retained by the earlier poster is an indexing and
" retrieval program for the contents of your entire hard drive, quite
" cheap and effective. (Magellan does something similar if you let it, and
" Orbis can be used that way, but usually is applied to a more focused set
" of files.) He has as much reason to keep it around as Xy users to keep
" that alleged antique. Lots of closet GOfer owners out there, I'll bet.
"
" ***** " Dorothy Day "day@xxxxxxxx" *****
" 	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."

------------- Or use the more euphonius ZyINDEX which also does a mass index to files. I gave that up for Lotus Magellan to index and apply Boolean to files and zips. I'm nagging Ztree Corp to apply their cloning expertise to Magellan's principles for OS/2 (long file names, giving up cpu cycles, etc.)
Daniel Say, say@xxxxxxxx