File conversions: h*lp

There are only a few occasions on which I've had to use the file-conversion
procedure -- generally saving a XyWin file as MS Word, because I can't make
WinFax Pro send a XyWin file as an outgoing fax, which is a complaint for
another day. I'm not sure whether I have *ever* tried the procedure in the
"Import" direction.

But my wife is now starting to onscreen-copyedit a book written in MS Word, and
in trying to bring in the various chapter files I've found the Import option
lets me down. In fact, I did a complete reinstall of XyDOS (4.015) to make sure
the filters weren't missing: and the various "W4W...DLL" are indeed present, in
the subdirectory \xw \filters. But I repeatedly get the message that the
document isn't recognized.

And when I try to open a file which I know *should* be in MS Word, because I
created it in Word and can open it in Word, I get either "Document not
recognized" or else "Invalid file format" or words to that effect.

So I'm stumped. I'm afraid I haven't followed this thread carefully enough
since Harry (if it was Harry) opened it: can anyone bring me up to speed?

						Eric Van Tassel

PS: Incidentally, does anyone know why sometimes Alt + F brings up a "File"
menu in which "Import" is grayed out? then another time the "Import" option is
ready -- but with the unsatisfactory results described. Is there any connection
with the real Importing problem?