Re: HP printer files

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> No kidding. If there was a PRN for your machine, you'd be using it -- right?
> There's no canned "factory-made" PRN for ANY modern printer!!! ALL PRNs in use
> today are subsitute PRNs, or else hand-made. This is the reason why I
> suggested creating a database of workable printers and appropriate PRNs --
> which, so far, nobody has volunteered to do.

I'm not volunteering for extra projects right now, but the option to do any
"hand-tailoring" of existing printer files begins with having access to the
relevant control codes. This often requires the purchase of an (additional) Tech.
Ref. Manual. If anyone has a printer they really like and intend to keep using for
awhile, I strongly recommend that they order the extra manual, while it is still
readily obtainable. I did this for my HP's, for my LexMark inkjet, and will do so
for my Epsons. (They stopped providing the control codes a bit after the time of
the Color Stylus 800. I photocopied those pages before disposing of mine. It may
even still be valid for the 1200, although Patricia mentioned that at some point
Epson went over to a totally different control code schema.) I would be glad to
xerox the necessary sections of my documentation, for anyone who may have the same
printer and needs this info.

Jordan