RE: converting counters

I was perhaps too hasty in replying. If you are using nested counters
(i.e., one level within another), you need to define them very
carefully. Normally, you want them to come out like this:
I. North America
  A. The East Coast
    1. The Canadian Maritimes
    2. The U.S. Northeast
    2. The Middle Atlantic States
    3. The Southeast
  B. The Gulf Coast
  C. The Middle
     1. Quebec and Ontario
     2. The Prairie Provinces
     3. The Old Northwest
That is, as each higher level increments, the lower levels are reset to their first value. To get that, you must define your counters thus:
DC 1=I A 1
DC 2=A 1
DC 3=1
See pp. 4-93-95 of the Command Reference when you have access to it.
If you use these a lot, set up the set of DC commands you like best and either make a SG of it or, if you're concerned about memory, save it as a boilerplate file and merge it whenever you need it. Assigning the actual counters in your keyboard file is also useful. (I don't do it myself, because I most often use them in conjunction with UseStyle commands.)

Patricia M. Godfrey