Re: file searching/vista help

Carl Distefano wrote:
To my surprise, Random House Unabridged Dictionary has "in a
disorganized or unplanned manner; sloppily" as the *first*
definition. Really.

OED makes a concession to the extent of "2. erron. Undecided,
shilly-shally", but doesn't even mention the "sloppily" sense. But
RHUD's primary definition is clearly "erron." as well.
Being more a descriptivist than not, I have no problem with someone
using willy-nilly to mean "in an unplanned manner," or for a dict. to
admit that that usage exists without using "erron." -- and in common
usage I think Random House is probably right: "sloppily" or "haphazard"
(Web10) is now the first sense for most Americans.

Paul Lagasse