Re: a basic XY III+ glitch?

You say three plus decades, which would put your Xy start back in the days of II or II Plus, so I assume you are using a DOS version. (?)

Two things come to mind first:

1) Keyboard error, either mechanical (like a stuck key) or in the encoding circuits (firmware); or
2) OS system “crash” or whatever you call a temporary glitch in the OS’s
functioning that is giving you a run-away key-repeat for carriage returns.

I suppose you could have experienced a looping XPL program that did not exit properly, but I think
you would have encountered that before.

All of the XyDOS versions I have used (from II+ to IV) have been remarkably stable and predictable
as long as I did not try to exceed the memory and file-size limits.

It really does sound more like a “computer” problem than a “XyWrite”
problem.

Myron