Re: Unerasing (was: Re: What the modern stuff can't do.)

A workaround for any operating system: don't delete. I set up three
directories/folders for any project and copy the files to the next
directory at particular stages. Then I'm only looking at the active files,
but I have backups just in case. The ol' HD is big enough that I don't
have to delete anything until I've cashed the check.

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Eric Van Tassel wrote:

> I may have misunderstood, but "if you erase a file using a DOS program like
> XyWrite" you can still use Windows's Undelete feature. I not infrequently
> (let's say three times in a good week) have to bail out of DOS and go into
> Win3.1 simply to undelete something I've erased too hastily. (I try to
> remember to save work-in-progress on a floppy and abandon it on the hard
> drive; Undelete gets touchy if anything has been done to the pertinent
> sector of the hard drive since the deletion took place, and I never know
> whether I'm treading on my own toes if I save any other file.)
>
> I must admit that if I were tweaking XyWrite in the innermost core of its
> being (which I'm not competent to do) one of the features I wouldn't mind
> having is a built-in Undelete.
>
> Cheers
> Eric Van Tassel

Ann Y.
	One is always a long way from solving a problem until one actually
	has the answer.
		--Stephen Hawking