RE: Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

> Peter Brown:
> One reason I haven't made the switch to Xy4 from Xy3.55
> is an annoyingly slow execution of ci commands.

  This is strange. I run both XyDOS 3.55 and 4.017 (3.55 only because
a hyphenate-and-justify script won't run under 4), and there has never
been a speed difference executing a single command line CH or CI.

  If you're talking scripts/macros, I seem to recall that when I first
switched to XyDOS 4, I did encounter something similar. (I routinely
run scripts with change commands on files of many hundred k's.) It went
bye-bye after I stuck this at the top of scripts:

TF DX BC default eb=0,0 XC...

DX turns off the screen display (and speeds up script execution), so
make sure any script with DX also has a DO near the end.
  In my case, I'm pretty sure it was the error beep (eb) command that
made the big difference in speed. Unless you don't want any beeps,
turn eb on again at the end of the script. I use:

default eb=1600,3000

  It may be that the es change will do the trick as well (I'm going to
add it and see what happens; didn't know about it before--thanks, Carl).
  Incidentally, I never bother to switch to expanded mode when running
macros in Xy4.
  -otis