Re: U2 version 119

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> I have a presentiment of OOM, though (OutOfMemory). What value
> does this command report on the PRompt line?
>  VA/NV $M+6

11
> Have you got a lot of "stuff" (little or big programs) loaded on keys? There > are more economical ways of keeping those ready for instant use than loading
> them on keys...

Outside of , I don't think I've changed any assignments, and I don't think I've ever used Save/Gets.
now cmline
STore  jumps to an otherwise blank black page to pose
the overwrite question and then, upon my response, returns me to
a blank blue (my XY background color) screen--no command line, no
status line, no nothing. To get out of this new twist, I still
have to toggle to Windows, right click the XY box, click close,
convince Win I really want to close, and then restart XY.
I'm not sure whether I misreported the above, or something has changed since I reported it.
Anyway, what happens now after I use STore  and answer
either y or N  to the overwrite query on the black page is
the text page (window 2) disappears and I am returned to the
directory in window 1, only now window one is a half page divided
horizontally by a dark double line. ABort gives me a blank Xy
page divided horizontally. Quit gives me the blank blue page
mentioned above, and I have to go through windows to get out of XY.
STore  clears the file on window 2 but stays on window 2
instead of returning me to the directory on window 1.
These results are consistent whether I experiment with other
programs open in Windows, or immediately after restart and before
opening browser, email, windows explorer or anything else.
1. I have a dim, dim, dim memory of turning off all verification
queries shortly after I started using Xy and years before I
discovered this list or U2. I have no idea how I did this and the
manuals are no help.
2. Somewhat less dim memory of working, possibly with Carl, on
how I wanted screens to close (close and leave blank, close and
return to previous active page, that sort of thing). My Hell
Dimension ate the pertinent emails during its first crash, and I
haven't been able to come up with a term to use to search the
archives.

One more test (back in a sec, don't go 'way):
Okay, I'd been conducting the above experiments from the xy4 directory, calling dir \bath on the cml, and then putting the cursor on the file named bitter, returning to cml and issuing CAll, or, alternately, issuing ca \bath\bitter.txt.
However, if I change the directory to bath, whether I CAll
bitter.txt directly from the cml or with the cursor on the bitter
directory line, when I issue STore , I get a flash, on
the status line, of "File not found" followed by "Install the
Xywwweb.REGistry!"

Maybe I should start all over from scratch installing v119?
As I think I previously indicated, right now this stuff is really irritating but it's not the end of the world. If you can fix it or tell me how to fix it, great, but if not, Xy and U2 are working and I will survive. (2 half bottles of vodka in the freezer, 3 half bottles of gin in the cabinet, a handful of Xyban left over from when I quit smoking. I will survive)
Oh, I'm using XYdos4.18 with XPHome with service pack 2 on a
Thinkpad R50.

As usual, thanks
Judith Davidsen