New monitor/bad resolution

I hope someone can help on this (and Hi, Jon Pareles!)

My new flat-panel monitor has terrible resolution for print. The video and graphics work fine, but text is difficult to read in Windows and even worse in Xywrite, where the widescreen seems to pull the letters till they're fat and fuzzy and, regardless of adjustments in brightness etc., dull.

Some specs:
I'm using Xywrite III Plus, version 3.56.
My computer is the horrid Windows ME (Dell Dimension 1400), which I keep solely for Xywrite.
The monitor I just retired came with the ME and the screen is 13" wide, 9 1/2" high, and 16" diagonal.
The new monitor is a Dell 1908WFP, 16" wide, 10" high, 19" diagonal.

Windows problems: Except for most headlines and subheads, the letters themselves aren't quite solid; sometimes I'll get a thin "t," a word later, a thicker "t." The same word may contain both wispy and solid letters. Some letters blur, though they'll be unblurry a line away. The words in the address bar are harder to read, and when highlighted, in reverse type, still harder. They and the black-on-gray letters at the top of an email (those that spell "Edit," "Format," etc.) sometimes come with little halos, and when they don't, the letters tend to blur, the black of the letter spilling into the white of the halo, resulting in dark gray fuzz.

The screen slumps in the middle, most at the top, where the straight lines and bars make the sagging more apparent. This occurs on websites, email, and Xywrite.

Xywrite problems:
The letters are too fat and blurry. I expect them to be larger, but as I said, the widescreen seems to bloat them. Also, the command field and about the top 10th of the screen are darker than the rest.

My previous monitor handled Xywrite beautifully: I bought a new one only because the tiny type on Windows was straining my eyes. By comparison, the old monitor's white-on-black screen was a relief. Now, the new monitor is a strain in both Win and Xy.

Fiddling while eyes burn: Both on Xy and Win, I've fiddled with brightness, contrast, sharpness, pixels, and "phase" (though the online manual doesn't explain what that is). While some combinations of those seem to improve Windows' resolution, it's not quite enough. No combination of adjustments improves the type on Xywrite. (Well, lowering the pixels is better than expanding them.)

On "Display Properties," I have the color set at Tru Color (32 bit) and the Screen Area at 1280 by 800 pixels. The online instructions advise 1400 x 900 pixels, but my computer doesn't get there. Again, I've tried different combos of pixels and color, but these two are the best.

So what to do? More adjustments? Are there adjustments within Xywrite I should try? (Please be aware, if you aren't by now, I'm not tech savvy.) Is the widescreen and/or LCD the problem, and should I try to find a square and/or CRT monitor instead? Do they even make 'em square anymore? I purchased this thing from Staples less than 30 days ago, and so a return or exchange is possible.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

Leslie