Re: off topic: Grammer Question

A book a friend lent me says the order is not
tightly fixed. There's a tendency to put the most
precise specifier nearest the noun.
One possible ranking:

- determiner
- opinion
- dimensions
- age
- shape
- colour
- place of origin
- material
- purpose

Examples given:
- a Chinese silk wedding dress (which happens to leave it open whether it's the silk or the dress which is Chinese).
- some short blue denim jeans
- an awful old stair carpet

It's certainly something which is taught to learners.
The order in French is slightly different, though off the cuff I can't say just how.
John

marc@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello XYWriters
My mother is writing an English Grammer guide, targeting 10 - 15 year olds. It was a request from a family member who felt that there was insufficient focus placed on grammatical education. The guide is a small (about 30 pages) condensed booklet that covers most of the building blocks of English grammer.
However, in the course of writing it, we have a wee question regarding the
order of adjectives...
Consider the following sentence
"He knocked on the big green door"
while it is the same as "He knocked on the green big door", this is not the way you would articulate it. What gramatical rules govern the order of adjectives? Are there any? (alphabetical?!?!) or is it basically a case of language knowledge? (if so, how is it taught?)
Sorry for the off topic subject, but I'm very interested to hear your views.
If anyone is interested in 'proof-reading' it, I can arrange a copy to be emailed to you.

Thanks in advance.

Marc