From: Lawrence Malkin [mailto:malkinlit@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 1:32 PM
To: xywritegroup
Subject: Re: Dos Box

    I envy Mr. Henderson the time to be a hobbyist. I note that after 15 years of radio we had Jack Benny and Franklin Roosevelt at the flip of a switch, after 15 years of automobiles we had the Model T, and 15 years of airplanes we had the fighter plane. After 20 years of the PC we have what David Gelertner of Yale (victim of the Unabomber) calls "the software mess." .
    I am a writer/editor/journalist by trade and I have used a computer for fifteen years. I don't know how to program it any more than I know how to tune my car's engine and why should I? For writers, the most important advance in productivity since at least the invention of pencil was the word-processing ability to reorganize material by moving around words, sentences, paragraphs -- i.e., ideas --quickly and easily. In the days of paper /typewriter, this was done by circling material, drawing lines, arrows, etc. and finally -- cutting and pasting (sound familiar?) and then retyping. To do that, Hemingway hired a secretary to do that; today he wouldn't have to, and he'd still have time to go fishing in the afternoon.
    With Xywrite, a system was invented to try out the reorganization of ideas, see if they worked better, and then to try again. The material never left the screen. I have written many newspaper stories, articles, and two books, and edited half a dozen other books (all of which appeared on the NYTimes annual list of notable books). During that period, I've saved maybe one million keystrokes thanks to Xywrite, and a great deal of time and energy as compared to Word (in addition to not using a mouse which can cause grave damage to the hand/wrist). The alternative,Word, is truly retrograde; the nerds who devised it obviously do not write for a living but simply copied the now anachronistic concept of cutting and pasting (during which words actually leave your sight and take extra keystrokes to retrieve ). The Word inventors seem to think that the way to emphasize ideas is simply to shout by putting them in boldface; they hired a writer and editor for The Atlantic Monthly to tell them how to make their system more attractive to writers. He gave up after six months, offering no improvements as far as I can determine.
    As this monopoly spreads like a stain, the simple and elegant system that I learned within ten days--as long as it took me to learn how to drive a car--is increasingly threatened by enforced upgrades which masquerade as innovation but really are planned obsolescence. Preserving the ability to use a simple and effective system is one reason why this chat group exists--and however comforting and helpful, it really should not need to exist. If a software house could make a profit by filling this niche market--and to do so it would need to know the  codes of the constantly changing ("improving") operating system--we wouldn't be wasting all this time exchanging tips about how to keep our preferred stick-shift XYWrite system working without even a corner mechanic to help. (Try to find one!)
     The parallel is exact; suppose GM had been a monopoly in 1940 and forced all cars to go automatic instead of just Oldsmobile with its Hydramatic. Small cars would be impractical (European small cars use stick shifts). The only hope is that someone will break this monopoly as the Japanese and VW broke the Detroit oligopoly, and I guess that's what we'll have to wait for. I don't look for much help from some hobbyist who thinks this is all just a game. As for the antitrust people, they lost the election. The only congressman on your side is Orrin Hatch, because WordPerfect is based in Utah. Everyone else seems to have been either bought out or bemused by MS.

Lawrence Malkin