Re: Backup--a different approach

Thanks for that, Kari.  This explains how I (unknowingly) took different paths with different systems, obtaining different results.  My most recent W7 install was to an SSD.  This was an older generation SSD that had been sitting here unused for a couple years.  It totally refused to accept an install to an already created partition, claiming there was no acceptable place to install Windows, while I was certain that there was, and one with plenty of room.  This left only the "installer starts with a blank disk, and Windows takes it from there" scenario.  So, Presto: System Reserved Partition.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxx>
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:31 AM
Subject: Re: Backup--a different approach

Jordan,

Read this to know your way around this topic:
https://www.howtogeek.com/192772/what-is-the-system-reserved-partition-and-can-you-delete-it/

> And I know you may still need to image the System Reserved partition as
> well (which is about 100 M. in size, as the first partition), if there
> is one.  I have computers that have this, and ones that don't.  Not
> entirely sure how that came about.  I never quite learned (or
> remembered) how to avoid making one of these when installing Windows.
> That's the way I would prefer it -- not having that extra partition to
> deal with.  But once it's there, I guess you are just stuck with it.

Yes, you'd better leave it as is. At least do not manipulate these
things without a good utility like EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)