Re: Copyright or Wrong

Many members of this group have tried to track down TTG's "Mr. Big"
(sorry, I can't remember Ken's last name) to get permission to copy the
manuals and software, and post them on the Internet, or at least to share
with other members of this group.  Thus far, these efforts have not
succeeded.  So what should be done?

Copyrights and patents are merely words on a piece of paper, unless the
registered owners enforce them.  In order to do so, they must make
themselves as individuals or corporations, easy to contact so that permission
may be given.  If copyright holders fail to do so, they have no one to blame
but themselves, when work is re-used  for fun and profit or to further the
common good, without their permission.  Perhaps the only way to get
"Mr. Big" to come out into the open, is to post the manuals, and see if
he chooses to step forward to enforce his copyright.

The copyright laws are aimed at protecting authors', photographers',
publishers', etc. rights in the works they create from piracy.  As far as
I can tell, they don't address the issue of abandonment by the copyright
holders. In addition, if someone on this list still cares to post the manuals,
I would like to suggest that posting a statement like, "I/we have exhausted
all reasonable means to locate the holder of the US Copyright for the following
publication to seek permission for re-use on this page.  This page will be
removed or licensed for further use, upon notification to do so by the lawful
holder of the US Copyright."  The Copyright Office [http://www.copyright.gov]
can not give legal opinions, but you might wish to contact it to see if that
suggestion might work.

Your congressman/woman is running for re-election this year, so if you think
that the copyright law should be changed to allow for use of otherwise protected
works, where the copyright holder is no longer accessible to the public, so that
permission can be granted, now is a good time to suggest such a change.

>>> jdavidsen@xxxxxxxx 08/15/02 05:34PM >>>
Okay, I am a writer. You are not allowed to put my work
online either for sale or for free without my permission. I
own the copyright and it is up to me to decide how my work
is used--you can't even quote more than a snippet in a
review without my permission. As far as I know, this is
still the law.

As righteously angry as we may be over the Technology
Group's abandoning us--and as much as I would love to see
the manuals online, especially if they were searchable--as
long as TTG owns the copyright to the manuals, even if they
never intend to do anything with those manuals ever again
for the life of the copyright, we still have to negotiate
anything we want to do with them.

If I'm wrong about this then I guess that editor really did
have the right publish my work under his daughter's byline.

Judith Davidsen