Re: anybody there? (yes, and I have a problem)

Well, if you need more mail, here's a question I've hesitated to ask, having just rejoined the list afte a 2 year absence, and don't want to bore people with old material (but I've searched the archives and found nothing helpful).

I have a new computer running XP Professional, and have been tweaking XyWrite III+ and XyWrite IV to get it looking the way it did under Windows 98 -- in full screen, rather than a window, etc. And I have got both programs to work:. XyWrite III+ thanks to some messages in the archive from Robert Holmgren, and XyWrite IV in large part due to the fortuitous discovery that when it first comes up on the screen, all squinched up in that useless display, all you have to do all you have to do is hit Ctrl-V, which puts you in WYSIWYG, and then F-8, and miraculously the whole screen is there, looking just as it did under DOS. I've now inserted some lines into STARTUP.INT to do all that for me automatically. .

Here's the problem, however. When my new machine came in early Jan, it very soon crashed badly, and it crashed while I was trying to print from XyWrite IV, using a Brother 5040 printer, and an HP4-PLUS.PRN XyWrite printer file. At first it worked; then later message appeared on the screen : "Spoolsv.exe Application error."
   Dell tech support told me to delete my two printers, uninstall drivers, reinstall. I did that. But why? When I print from XyWrite, am I using the Windows printer files? I thought not. In any case, the problem reappeared in a day or so, and this time I was unable to delete the printers or uninstall the drivers; a message said the spool was not running.

More calls to tech support, who now said the problem was with XP. An attempt to repair the operating system failed, and no attempts to get it going again worked. Ultimately Dell sent me a new hard disk, with same software on it (arrived in less than 24 hours).

So now I am up and running XyWrite again, but a little bit skittish about trying to print from it. also note that when I start XyWrite IV,as it loads, I get a message across the screen:
Customization File contains an unrecognized command; unable to load LPT1C:\XY4\HPL. . . (runs off the screen).

It looks as if it's having trouble loading the printer file, but then if I go into Printer setup, I find the proper printer is loaded. And if, from the Printer Setup file, I try to load another printer file, that works fine, too.

Both the STARTUP.INT and the SETTINGS.DFL files are the ones I have used for many years.

Does this all sound recognizable to anyone? Am I right in being reluctant to try to print from XY, rather than translating it into Nota Bene, or MS Word 7.0, both of which I have on my computer (as well as the old Adobe Word for Word translation program).

Nicholas Clifford
clifford@xxxxxxxx