re xylist and dual booting with Xp and either 98se or dos for xywrite.

Dear Patricia

Before thanking Patricia for her response is it possible to have xysearch list the 07
emails in reverse chronological order.  Since I have been alerted by Carl Robert
Patricia and Harry that there is a lag between the circulation of emails and the posting
on xysearch and the discovery that  I do not receive all postings I have been going
routinely to the xysearch postings. I think it would be helpful if that could be posted
in reverse chronological order rather than chronological order so that you can look
at the most recent postings without having to cursor down to the bottom.   On the
question of the same issue coming up more than once could the effort of having to
reformat or repost posting be obviated if we could put a search engine on the archives
such as the one in zyindex 4 which used boolean logic.  I have seen similar search
engines on some of the web sites that post the King James version of the Bible.

Patricia's response to my email is posted on the website but I have not as yet received
it as an email so I have not attached it.  I am sending my email back to her to the whole
list in case some of you are thinking of a dual boot system.  Read her response to my
first email since it raised important questions about win98se and dos.

Patricia, thanks for your headsup.

Since I am currently running a dual boot with 98se and xp without significant problems
I did not forcus on your earlier warnings to me about drivers.  I will definitely ask the
salesperson if the motherboard or the video comes with the drivers for the video for 98se
(and possibly dos) as well as the keyboard and the mouse.

Equally important is your warning about ports.  I just blithely assumed that all computers have parallel, vga 15 pin,
ps2 and serial and usb ports came on the pc not realizing that usb did not exist in the dos
world and that the ps2 keyboard and mouse ports are passe.  Is the problem curable with
the equivalent of an io card with a parallel port, a pc2 port and mouse port.  My current
keyboard is plugged into a ps2 port and I probably have at least 20 of the even older
keyboards with the big round plug.  I noticed that my logitech thumball mouses came
with a usb coverter to ps2.  Do those converters solve the problem

The parallel printer port  problem warning was especially helpful since I have an hplj5 and
an hpl4 both of which work fine and the toner cartridges for them are much cheaper per page
to operate than more recent hp lazerjet printers per page for some unexplained reason. As I
write I am trying to remember whether these two printers can run in serial mode and will
look at the manual for the hp!4
  • avromf@xxxxxxx or af413@xxxxxxxx