From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Harry Binswanger
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:16:47 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: My lunch with Microsoft

Jordan,
Yes, I'm trying Acronis now. I miss the convenience of the drive duplicator.
I just had an idea though, if I set up a RAID mirroring drive, couldn't  I
put *that* into the drive duplicator? I believe modern Windows OS's have
RAID capability built in; I'd just need an enclosure that will attach by
USB or Thunderbolt (my Lenovo has Thunderbolt).
NB-Xy is on hold while the folks at NB work on NB 13. But I will nudge them.
Steve has said that he will get the status line to work right, since its
flakiness has been a barrier to testing.
Regards,
Harry
Harry,
Probably all the programs in this category have their proponents and their detractors.  That includes Acronis, but over the years and several program versions, it has served me well.  The one function for which I still need to see a "proof of concept" is the (relatively more recent) module or feature to restore an image to *different hardware.*  Several programs now claim to be able to do this, but it's complicated, and no mean feat to have a Windows 7 or later boot partition survive this transplant and remain bootable.  I have a couple cases where I need to pull this off, either for myself or for someone else.  It looks like there is a learning curve, and a fair amount of trial and error involved.
Acronis may offer a good shot at this, and I already have it.  Laplink PC Mover has been around for quite some time, though with rather mixed reviews on this.  O & O Diskimage is another one, and I'm sure there must be others.  Ideally, I don't want to have to go to Microsoft to reauthorize -- or whatever they call it.  These programs don't seem to mention any need for that.  But it could be something they chose not to discuss, for good reason.
By the way, I trust you will keep us updated on any developments regarding "Xy 5."  That subject has been rather quiet here for some time.     Jordan