OT: Windows 10 free upgrade

This may be old hat, but it was news to me. A free Windows 10 upgrade is
still available from Microsoft.

With support for Win 7 scheduled to end in January, I decided to upgrade
my home machine to Win 10. Since the widely-publicized deadline for the
free upgrade ended in 2016, I assumed that I'd have to pay for a license. But then I ran across
this:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

If you're upgrading a single machine, you can go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Click "Download tool now"; after the download completes, run the Media
Creation Tool.

The first time I started Windows 10 it failed with an "invalid user
profile" error. This was fixed simply by restarting Windows. I then
encountered the dreaded "Windows has loaded with a temporary profile"
message -- meaning that any changes to the Desktop and settings are lost
when you log out. An easy Registry edit fixed this. So, my factory-
installed edition of Windows 7 Home was successfully upgraded to the
Home edition of Win 10.

But then I remembered that I owned a legal copy of Win 7 Professional,
which I had only ever run in a virtual machine. I entered the product
key and, sure enough, a few minutes later I was running Win 10 Pro.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx