Re: A XyWrite for Windows installer

Edward,
Are the any functional differences between Start.exe and FileOpen.exe?
As far as I can tell, the only difference is that start.exe has
options to start the program maximized, minimized, or hidden. The help
screen says:

Usage: START [+|-|_] program [arguments]
[+|-|_]: To maximize/minimize/hide the program.
The options /MAX, /MIN, /HID are also accepted.
program: The application or file to be started.
arguments: Arguments to pass to the application.
Start.exe is bundled with vDosPlus. I specifically asked for the /HID option because it avoids the cmd.exe window that often flashes on the screen when starting a Windows program from within XyWrite. The flashing window happens if you invoke cmd.exe, even in connection with a START /MIN command. So, for example,
DOS/NV/X/Z /C cmd.exe /c start /min some_Windows_program.exe
briefly displays a cmd.exe window while
DOS/NV/X/Z /C start.exe /hid some_Windows_program.exe
suppresses the flashing window but still opens the program. You can sometimes get around this by opening the Windows program directly with the DOS command, as in
DOS/NV/X/Z /C some_Windows_program.exe
but in my experience this doesn't consistently avoid the flashing window, while Start.exe does.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx