Re: A XyWrite for Windows installer

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Wed, 15 Jan
2020 20:21:36 -0500

> Ignore what I wrote earlier about my FileOpen.exe.

Actually, Edward, you were on the right track. I took Wengier's
start.exe (similar to your FileOpen.exe) and copied it to "command.com"
in C:\OTVDM. In OTVDM.INI, set dosemu=command.com. Then, in XyWrite for
Windows running under OTVDM, the following commands work:

DOS/nv/z cmd.exe ..................... opens a CMD.EXE window
DOS/nv/z my_Windows_program.exe [args] opens my_Windows_program
DOS/nv/z my.pdf ...................... opens my.pdf

You can accomplish much the same by copying cmd.exe to command.com,
except that the command in XyWin then becomes DOS/nv/z /c etc. I like
Wengier's start.exe better because it's able to suppress the briefly
flashing CMD.EXE window before opening a Windows command-line program.
(I had some input into its development.)

I've done a little testing with msdos-player, but not enough to report
anything much. On a quick try, it's main draw is the ability to run DOS
programs. For myself, I'm more interested in launching Windows apps.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx