Re: hope...

Reply to note from Ed Germain about how to run XyW 3+ in a full
screen. I asked the same question a while ago. These were some
suggestions from list members.
Irene

..........Assume you are running Windows on a laptop
or a desktop connected to a TFT screen, not a CRT monitor. In
that case, the problem is neither XyWrite's, nor Windows'. It is
your hardware manufacturer's. Ask him (them) how to get a full screen
display of DOS text mode. Be persistent, and they'll eventually
tell you. It might even be in the manual (or not). With many
laptops, it's a matter of pressing a certain key combination to toggle
between a small, sharp, non-display-filling DOS screen and a large,
display-filling but somewhat fuzzy DOS screen. With the newer TFT
flat screen displays for desktops, it usually seems to be a setup
option.
Wolfgang Bechstein

A new machine brings me to the Gates of "progress", through which
I only half-heartedly wished to enter, and now I am chilled by a
Soft Microwind in the Millennium Edition, to wit:
XyWrite 3+ (ver. 3.57) will not load to a full screen. Yes, I
have tweaked property sheets of the program and a desktop
shortcut -
to no avail.
Any ideas?
Alan Kerr

assume you're trying to run it on Windows 2000?  I've had the
same problem, and no amount of tweaking seems to get it right.
However, with UltraVision (which runs just fine on W2K and with
many current
video chips) you can have a nice full screen.
Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxxxxx

Alan,
I have gotten full screen in win95, 98 and win2000 by adjusting
the screen length (SL=) in the default.prn and all other prn
files I use that set the defaults to a longer screen length.    It has to be
just right or you won't be able to scroll to the bottom of the screen.   I
don't remember the settings I used in win95 except I used the largest true type
font it offers under the desktop icon properties.  In win98 I use
13x22 true type font and screen length of 30.   In win2000 set the
properties using the little icon at the top left corner of xywrite run in a window
(not full screen).  (The font properties if you right click on the desktop
icon have no effect.)   I have my win2000 font set to Ludica console 24pt.
Layout is set to window size 73 wide, 28 height (buffer will automatically
adjust).
Screen position - uncheck let system position screen and set left
to -4 and top to 1.    Set the default screen length in the xywrite
default.prn file to 30 (or whatever .prn files you use to set the defaults.
In all three - win95, 98 and win2000 you won't be able to see the stuff
at the far right end of the command line (such as whether or not you are
on insert) without scrolling over with the scroll bar at the bottom
of the screen - a small price to pay for getting a full screen.  And because of
the large font if you use really long line lengths you may have problems
seeing the end of  the line with out scrolling over, but normal line length
is okay.
win98 works better than win95 because it has one bigger size font
to use.  The real key to the whole solution is setting the xywrite
screen length default.  Assume that ME would work much like 98.  Hope
this helps.
Gene Trudeau

Alan. assume you are using a laptop - have you set your screen to
expanded mode?   Mine has to be set that way.
Gene

Let me guess: this is on a laptop or possibly a desktop computer
with a flat TFT screen, right? If so, the problem you are having
has nothing to do with XyWrite or even the DOS settings of Windows
per se. It is a _hardware_ thing, caused by the fact that your screen (probably
a TFT screen with a resolution of 1024x768 or higher) unlike CRT
monitors is hardwired for the higher resolution, causing the
640x480 of regular DOS to take up only a portion of the screen, whereas the
Windows desktop and Windows programs use the full 1024x768 or whatever
resolution.
The way around this is again _in hardware_. Most laptops have a
hotkey combination that lets you toggle DOS into a (simulated)
full-screen mode.
On my Compaq, this is Fn-T where Fn is the special function key
at the bottom left of the keyboard. Look in your computer manual,
or ask the manufacturer how to get an edge-to-edge DOS screen. Some TFT
monitor/video card combinations are already set up that way, but
some aren't. I think that's what you're up against, but of course
I could be wrong.
Wolfgang Bechstein