Re: Postscript printing to pdf in Windows

Kari,

This seems to be the situation now:

I can choose between these options:

(1) a slightly updated version of the program that you’ve already tried out and which is
currently posted. It will post a warning if you use it to watch a folder with more than one or two
files already in it. Like the existing version, it will let you select a printer, use a routine that
lets you assign a filename to the PDF by using a macro in your application; etc.

or

(2) a reliable file watcher that will work with any folder with any number of files already in it,
but will NOT let you pop up a menu in which you can select a printer, and (although I haven’t
tested this) it probably will not be able to warn you if you overwrite an existing PDF file when you
use the method that lets you save to a specific filename. The only options it would offer would be
to print to the default printer, create and open a temporary PDF file, or save a PDF on the desktop.

I think (1) is preferable to (2) because the option to select a printer at print-time seems to me
extremely useful. The folder watcher in option (1) won’t be as reliable, but I don’t
think it’s a burden to insist that people print to a temporary folder that is different from
one’s documents folder. It seems to be inherently dangerous to use a system like this that
deletes files (as this one does with the output print file) in a folder which also has files that
you want to keep. There’s too much risk for something to go wrong.