Error from laptop installtion of XY4

I have just copied my vDosPlus and XY4 folders from my desktop Windows 7 computer to a laptop which runs Windows XP. This works perfectly so far as I can see, but when I launch XY4 I get two beeps and then the status message "number out of range". The same installtions copied onto a virtual XP machine on the Windows 7 desktop does not display the same error. I have tried disabling obvious candidates inside STARTUP.INT but to no avail. (If I disable STARTUP.INT I only get one beep.) Can anybody advise what this might mean, or be caused by.

Thanks

Paul