Re: XySearch _ quick question

Carl,

Many thanks for your assistance, once again.

This is such an elementary question I hate to ask it.

What is the "bit" system I should be using?

Locate 32 offers programs for 32-bit and 64-bit.

Which is the most optimal, 32 or 64, , and is there a rule of thumb about this going forward.

Geez, my life was so easy with XyWrite, DOS and the Novell network compared to today!  Seems long long, long ago.

Many thanks,

Jay

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Reply to note from Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx> Thu, 13 Aug 2020
08:59:18 +0300

> There are quite a few free Windows tools that could ease your
> searches.
>
> 1) grepWin (https://tools.stefankueng.com/grepWin.html)
>
> 2) DocFetcher (http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/index.html)

Jay, I can say from personal experience that these two tools are excellent,
even indispensable. As is EditPad (https://www.editpadlite.com/), or the
more capable EditPad Pro (https://www.editpadpro.com/). There is also the
formidable NotePad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).

For searches based on file *name* (not content), nothing beats Locate32
(https://locate32.cogit.net/). It's lightning fast, because (like
DocFetcher) it creates an index, or database, of file and folder names. If
you arrange to update the index daily (Windows Task Scheduler is your
friend), you'll have a heavenly experience searching for files or folders,
by simply supplying a fragment of the name.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx