Re: OT: Whine

Generally the only mechanical devices in a modern PC are the fans and the hard drive, if not solid state. Depending on your specific components, this could be a) the power supply fan, b) the case fan, or c) the hard drive. Sometimes the only way to narrow it down is to open the case while the system is running, or start it up with the case open, then put your ear close and you'll probably be able to figure out which area it's coming from. Case fans aren't difficult to replace, but power supply fans are integrated into the unit so you'd need to replace the entire power supply.

Greg Lara
IT Director
Columbia University Press
61 W 62nd St, 3d Fl