Re: French accents

Hello Bob,

I use a similar approach to that of Jon Inggs, but slightly different.
The Finnish/Swedish keyboard has all the required accents, but they are in awkward places. Therefore, I have been using a US keyboard for some time to write Finnish (which has umlauts: ä, ö) and French (I am a Romance language major).
I would suggest putting accents on the Unshift level whenever possible.
This makes input much smoother. I have the following assignments:

/ = S1 = Accute accent
53=s1
Ctrl-/ = / = slash

\ = S2 = Grave accent
43=s2
Ctrl-\ = \ = backslash

[ = S4 = Circumflex
26=s4
Ctrl-[ = [ (bracket)
Alternatively, you could use ^ (= Shift-6), but it is a shifted key which is a complication!

] = s3 = Umlaut, tréma
27=s3
Ctrl-] = ] (bracket)
Alternatively, you could use " (= Shift-'), but it is a shifted key which is a complication!

C-cédille:
Ctrl-c = ç
Ctrl: 46=ç
Shift-ctrl-C = ’
Shift-ctrl: 46=’
These assignments work in Xy3 and Xy4. Xy4 has supplemental floating accents for cedilla, etc. I have stickers to show any additions to the normal keyboard, and I have duplicated the assignments on the KAPS and KAPS+SHIFT levels.
When not in XyWrite, I use Allchars in *nix compose mode: Ctrl-right+\+a
= à.

Hope this helps a bit. In the end, this is a matter of personal preference.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx