Re: Wrinkles with the Edward-Distro of DOSBox-x

Ed just quickly, I believe I have

synchronize time=true

running in my appsettings.conf

but that it doesn't work. Upon sleep and re-awakening, the time is the same as it was when sleep was invoked. Just like Brünnhilde.

There is related command line

-date-host-forced

which I have been unable to run either in a .conf or .bat file or from the command line. We don't know (or do we?) if this command will force the time as well as the date. (I have discovered that the time /h command suggested by Carl a few days ago must be supplemented by the date /h command as well.) And we don't know whether it is a single event or a continuous event.

I must be missing the DOSBox command which would tell one all the settings that were either in effect or not in effect. There's nothing quite like XyWrite's va command, is there? va such-and-such and it tells you the value of the setting.

I will try your new distro forthwith. Many thanks. It will give me the chance to try a different and more orderly approach to the cntrl-cmd remap issue.

At 12/31/2021 01:25 AM, you wrote:
> 1. That page is indeed helpful in that it suggests creating an autoexec.bat file for example to execute some mount commands which, by the way, seem to require a colon after the drive letter although the dosbox-x.conf file seems not to require the colon.

The page now points out that the colon is optional.

>2. It would be helpful to state there, up front, what you can only find out by time-intensive tinkering with the app's contents: that, within the app's contents, the file you ought to edit to make configuration changes, is “appsettings.conf" rather than the hitherto universally assumed dosbox-x.conf. I won't ask why it has been thought necessary to introduce this fundamental but undocumented wrinkle. The comment section in "appsettings.conf" is informative. On the other hand, it mentions a .PROF file that you can edit but I was unable to find a .PROF file anywhere on my system.

Hold down the Option key when launching the app; no need to tinker with the contents. I finally got around to explaining this on the download page. The reference to the PROF file is left over from an earlier version, and I’ll remove it. Thank you for pointing this out.

>3. The settings you can alter in autoexec.bat do not include one I think should be obligatory in all DOSBox-x installs that are intended for applications:
synchronize time=true. This must be made in appsettings.conf.

That option will be set in the version I will upload tomorrow. Meanwhile, you can set this or any other option, using commands in autoexec.bat; simply consult the DOSBox-X documentation at the DOSBox-X site.

>5. Now, what would happen if I copied appsettings.conf and renamed it dosbox-x.conf and ran it along with the later release I was toying with at first?

I have no idea. Presumably, you could try it and see.

>6. Also I am afraid I have lost Edward's shortcut keys which are not compatible with my method (whatever that is) of getting Mac-CMD to = Win/DOS-CTRL.

I don’t know what you mean by having “lost” the keys. (I’ve slightly edited the wording of your sentence.)

>7. Looking back over the correspondence of the past few days, there seems to be some confusion as to whether Control is assigned to Mod1 or Mod3 or, as has sometimes seemed possible to me, both?

The Mapper editor will tell you. Click on Mod1, etc.