Re: XyWrite List on DuckDuckGo !bang ?

Reply to note from Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sat, 25 Jun 2022
13:03:53 +0300

> Carl, if you agree, you could perhaps reserve this for us.

I tried to request "!xywrite" but was unable to specify a URL that
results in a useful search. For example,
  https://www.freelists.org/archive/xywrite/?term={{{s}}}
does not work because after the subdirectory /xywrite/ it's necessary
to specify "mm-yyyy" to get to the actual posts. And it appears that
DuckDuckGo does not have a facility like the Google "site:" keyword,
which includes subdirectories of the specified URL. If there's a
workaround, I haven't been able to find it. You can try for yourself,
here:

https://duckduckgo.com/newbang

Another (minor) issue is that you have to specify a category and
subcategory for the bang. The only applicable category is Tech, and
none of the availble subcategories under Tech aptly describe our list.
I put in "programming" as a placeholder, but that won't be very helpful
for anyone searching for the bang. Perhaps the name !xywrite is
descriptive enough, however.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx