Re: Newbie question on running Xywrite III on Windows 10/11

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sat, 26 Nov 2022
06:56:46 -0500

Harry,

> Hmmm, running XyWrite "from the cloud." ... means running a
> vDosPlus or DOSBox-x version on Linux,

Or maybe more easily on a Windows server, which could distribute
Windows-based DOS emulation without the need for intermediary software.
No doubt a network geek could set this up with one hand tied behind her
back.

> And maybe some shared XPL scripts.

Of course, the idea of shared XPL started long before networks were
common, with U2 and its precursors, SmartSet and Oodles, the last
dating back to the '80s. We never realized the goal of a community of
users contributing actively to a pool of shared, open-source resources,
but certainly the intention was there.

As for running XyWrite "from the cloud", I've been doing it for years
and I'm sure many others have, too. My XyWrite setup and essential data
files are on Dropbox, which makes it easy to access them from any
computer. My goal, though, for reasons of privacy and security, is to
move it all to a private server (in the cloud). As a start, I've
developed a pretty-good version-history facility, a Dropbox feature I
find essential.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx