U2 success at last (and a queston)

Carl privately sent me working links to the current files, and so I may be the only person other than Carl who has tried out the version of U2 that Carl announced here on December 18th. The download links on XYWWWEB that claim to have the current version in fact have a version from last autumn.
I'm very glad to report that the few things I've tried in U2 work
perfectly under vDosPlus: XYCP works as advertised, for example. I hope
that the public download links may get fixed so that other U2 users can
experiment with this extraordinary system.
Under DOSBox-X, a few things don't quite work, but Carl and I are
discussing those in separate messages. Sooner or later, when this is
sorted out, I'll post a Mac version.
One thing occurs to me: Carl showed me earlier how to make a XyWrite
setup that is "portable" - i.e., will run in any location on disk. It
occurs to me that this means there's no strong reason to have a separate
vDosPlus and Xy4 directories. The whole system can be put into a single
folder that can be put anywhere.
Has anyone tried this? It shouldn't be difficult at all, and could be a
great convenience.