Re: U2 glitches

** Reply to note from Harry Binswanger Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:56:08 -0400
(EDT)

≫ "When I call up the index and scurry around fast with either the down
≫ arrow or the page down key, the xywrite screen disappears and I get the
≫ following message box on my desk top:"

> Yeah, me too. Same crash, same screen. And, Carl, it hapens when the inf
> file is called by using index.

Same *error* screen (from DOS), or same place in the INF file?
If it's the same _place_ in the file, then try this experiment. Go into
eXPanded mode, SEarch for "≪VA_NK≫" and delete it. Then toggle back
into Draft mode and see if you still have the error. It's a mystery to
me. Even if Virus98 handles the NumLock differently than the other M$
Virii, it really shouldn't make a bit of difference here, because you're
not touching NumLock, just trying to determine whether a function is on a
key or not. BTW, is func NK assigned to a key or not?

> I think it has to do with the formatfootnotes stuff.

Huh? There _isn't any_ format footnote stuff -- at least, not that
routine I gave you a few days ago called FRMTFTNTS -- in the latest public
version of INF or U2. Have you perhaps changed INF in some way?

FWIW, I just CAlled INF under W95, and try as I might, cannot generate any
error. After all, INF is just a text file. No programming (or darn
little) in it. Unless there's an illegal character in it, which is not
likely, it should display like any other text file.

Hmmm. There's a section of the Index, under category "Editing", called
"Line Manipulation". The first routine mentioned in this section is
called "{getde1}" (move down carefully until it is displayed at bottom of
screen). Any chance that it's crashing when that is displayed? If so,
please relaunch Editor, command "Help" -- that's S-Oh (letters).
What's the value reported?

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx