Re: SUBROUTINES

Chris: I need to be able to search a defined area, not the entire file, and
this is the only way I could think of to do that. The program I'm writing takes
a court case that's scanned in and "squeezes" it to get rid of extra returns,
punctuation, etc. The search for all the wildcard numbers is a routine to clean
up court case docket numbers and stick 'em all in one paragraph. I know that
I'm only supposed to affect the first part of the file, and it is possible that
these docket numbers won't exist, so searching para by para seemed the only
way. Another question: enclosed is a little nonfunctioning piece of XPL called
"PIECE" which explains what I want to do with subroutines...it seems I can't
stick part of an if statement in a subroutine, only the whole thing. Please
take a look and tell me there's an easier way. Again, thanks to all for the
great advice - I'd be DOA without it!

*Enclosed File: piece