Re: DOWNLOAD PROBLEM

Carl, I'd say your chief suspect is this noisy line. The telephone company's
local loop on XyQuest's end of this line is so sick, I'm surprised it works as
often as it does. Xy should complain about it. This doesn't even seem like a
voice grade line. Could be NYNEX has had so much business development in that
area, that they've multiplexed out the line, cutting the bandwidth. I had a
similar problem calling anything from my home line, until USWest upgraded this
area to digital. The relays in the old stepper office would chatter, throwing
garbage into the mix. However, I have had good results downloading from this
board using the Kermit options on Procomm Plus. A good way to attempt to
diagnose your download problem is to watch the error rate on the download
window that Procomm puts up. Procomm will terminate the transaction after a
relatively small number of errors. If you find the error rate going up, abandon
the download, get off the board, and call back in. Watch for stray "check mark"
characters from the Xy bulletin board after you log in. If you see them, get
off, call again. Once you get a clean connection, attempt your download. If
Procomm is bombing off even though the error rate is low, (like under 3), then
the problem is something other than a bad line. I've never seen a problem like
that in Procomm or Procomm Plus, though. If you have any questions, give me a
call at xxx-xxx-xxxx, or drop me a note.
 Daryl