Re: Off topic: educational methods

It happens in academe, too. More lately, also, in my experience
(though I haven't been teaching for two years). Unless, of course,
you want them to talk about themselves (why should students be
different than other people?).

You can always call on them. :)

I've also tried email forums (yes, I know, that's not really the
plural...): every one has to submit an email comment (which can be
defined in more detail) by 2 hours before class. People do start
commenting on other people's submissions, and sometimes that helps
free up the speech in class because there's already a context. But it
depends on their all doing it and checking their email.

Part of me thinks that some of the silence is about lack of motivation
-- they don't care about language, in general.