[Date Prev][Date Next][Subject Prev][Subject Next][
New TAME looks promising
- Subject: New TAME looks promising
- From: Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx
- Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 08:19:32 -0400
Reading Jordan's post, I realized I hadn't checked TAMEDOS.COM in a long
time. There's a February 2011 version that has some terrific features for
us, if I am reading Chris' prose correctly. I'm doing some time-critical
XPL programming right now, so I won't be able to test it myself for a few days.
Tame Revision History
Word Processor and Text Editor supportThe items listed here are available for all DOS applications, and are
currently used mainly with text editing/word processing applications.
· Enjoy the benefits of on-screen text styles such as italics and
bold, while working in a windowed environment. Tame can examine your color
scheme and automatically display text in a more readable fashion. All text
is displayed using the color of your normal text, and drawn with the style
assigned to its original color.
· A menu item is provided to automate text style setup with
supported applications, For other systems, simply edit a supplied
template, and add styles as noted (e.g. make the word ?italics? have
· Drag/drop has been configured for several applications to effect
paste or file open. Edit verses paste is sometimes determined based on the
file type, and may be changed by the user,
· Direct access to the Windows clipboard is now
provided. Applications that use Windows 9x clipboard functions can
automatically have that ability on NT based systems. For other
applications, Tame provides direct access to the clipboard using file
· Smart paste will automatically switch to the old keyboard paste
when filling in data fieldsn such as search strings or file names.
· Drag drop will always paste just the path if dropped on a data field.· Dynamic row and column change has been improved, and Tame that
capability is now available with more applications.
Keyboard and Mouse Input· Keystroke response time and cpu overhead is greatly improved for most
apps that require hardware keyboard compatibility
· Map any key to perform multi-step functions or enter common
text. Support is not limited to standard keys - use the media keys
provided ion new keyboards, function keys F13-F24, or any other key that
windows applications can access.
· Add items to the context or system menu. Items may send keystrokes,
run commands, or specify Tame settings.
Unicode and International Support· Tame can switch to the codepage appropriate for each application
when it is run. Codepage selection may be based only on the codepage
assigned to the application, with no user setup whatsoever, and still allow
exceptions by providing the codepage for those users.
· Tame can also automatically switch keyboard layout based on
application, user, or other criteria.
· Tame breaks the codepage barrier, and can display text from
multiple codepages on the same screen. Display based on the Unicode text
without referencing a code page is also supported.
· If you use an application that uses the wrong codepage, you no
longer need to choose between local codepage for data entry/display, and
application codepage for correct linedraw characters and screen
formatting. Dos codes that have different Unicode representation may be
displayed using the appropriate codepage based on attributes such as color,
or by a run of adjacent characters that form a linedraw shape with the
· Enter and display unique symbols such as the Euro, even if it is
not included in your keyboard layout or codepage.
· Keyboard translation provided in Tame can replace KB16, freeing
up more conventional memory.
Other Additions· Tile or stretch bitmap images as background for text. Eachimages
may be displayed as a replacement existing colors or color combinations, or
to replace text such as pattern characters that are commonly used.
· Use any font for screen display, including proportional
fonts. You may now adjust the display properties like aspect and scale,
to improve readability with any size text.
Add Features to your Favorite ApplicationTame can provide access to basic Windows functions with no changes to the
application and very little configuration. Advanced capability is also
available with a little effort, but that effort rarely requires changes to
the application, because Tame works with functions already included in the
application, perhaps for different purpose. Here are come easily
· Show different fonts in forms. Highlight the active form field,
or differentiate data verses form text/lines.
· Add items to the system menu· Show a bitmap in place of blank areas, or use it as a background
in any screen or area of the screen.
· Process files that are dropped on the application window using
· Capture keystrokes, screens, and file operations as you run the
app, and save as HTML text that preserves colors and format.
More Advanced Capability· Tame provides a spooling function that will supply the app with a
unique temp file name when the app opens a specific file name, like LPT1 or
Outfile. Pre-configured post processing will commence when the file is
· Utilize background execution of DOS or win32 commands spawned by
the DOS app. The DOS app can wait for each command to complete, or can run
in parallel if synchronization is not needed. If multiple commands are
invoked, they may also be run as serialized or parallel. Standard
error/output may be saved for reference or post processing.
· Handle Windows app events such as Open and Paste
· Provide final cleanup for events such as shutdown, logoff or suspend.