.Prn Flakeyness

Jim,
  Thanks for the offer. Yeah, documenting the undocumented would be... well...
a contradiction!
  Maybe you can help me with a .prn file problem that has been a minor
irritation for many years. Sometimes when I load a new .prn file (using ldprn)
it puts the memory for .prn files into some kind of catatonic state: it prints
w/o any margins and one line on each page. If I exit Xy then re-enter (with the
desired .prn designated in my startup.int) all is fine. I've had this problem
with a dot matrix printer and two different laser printers, so it is printer-
independent.