Re: Windows 'phone home' behavior

That must have been the turning point (?), indicating their future path.  But with MS, it's hard to know . . . .

I have 8.1 running on a single rig, purely for experimental purposes.  If I ever do anything with 10, it would be limited to that.  Flash, I need to get a list of those MS server addresses !  I've known about that Hosts file business for quite some time, but there is finally enough reason for me to pursue it.

   Jordan

From: flash
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: Windows 'phone home' behavior

Jordan wrote: "I'm on "Notify Me" only status re 7 patches, checking

them out carefully in advance, rejecting several."

For what's worth, I have a Win 8.1 machine which constantly tried to
'phone home' even though I had de-activated all the automatic update
functions I could find. Most of Windows' attempts to contact the
mothership went unremarked on the computer screen; I noticed them only
because I had Wireshark running in the background recording
everything the NIC sent and received.

Eventually I had to manually enter all of Microsoft's server IP
addresses in the Win 8 machine's host file pointing to 127.0.0.1
(local host) to get it to stop trying to update itself secretly. What
a nuisance!