Re: KeyPro Keyboard Questions

At 02:22 PM 11/10/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I just inherited a KeyPro programmable keyboard, which has a double set of
>function keys -- a row on the top and a stack on the left.
>
>Does anyone on the list have experience with programming this keyboard?
Yes. The ProKEY 124 (they go by several names).
>Right now the PF1 and PF3 keys (in the stack on the left) are resisting my
>efforts to use them. They produce only garbage characters. Also, this
>keyboard has a second complete cursor pad with four keys that are supposed
>to move the cursor diagonally. I want to rename these within a keyboard
>file, but I'm running into trouble there, too.

1. Have you used the utility that comes with the keyboard as software?
In my version, it's called util124.exe. You have to exit windows
entirely and run it from DOS.

2. The keyboard, as you probably know, can do two different things: 1.
"remap" a single character to any key (e.g., have the backspace key
put out cursor-left), and 2. assign a keyboard "macro" to any key. If
you remap a key, the remapping pertains to all shifted states of that
key. But if you want to have only shifted PF1 put out "hello," or even
the single character "x," you have to use a macro. To program in a
macro, you do the following sequence:
  1. Hit (right hand)ctrl-ProgrmMacro (at which point the green LED
should start blinking)
  2. Hit the key that you want to put the macro on (this is the
reverse of the remapping sequence, which is confusing)
  3. Type in the string you want to put on that key
  4. Hit the ProgrmMacro key (w/o the ctrl-key).

If you want the macro to be a repeating key (that puts out the macro
over and over for as long as you hold down that key), substitute
(right hand)Shift-ProgrmMacro for (right hand)ctrl-ProgrmMacro in the
above sequence.

Is this what you wanted?

Regards,

Harry Binswanger