Re: TED--a Linux Xy-type editor?

I used to use TED.COM, and the revision TED3, the DOS versions of TED (Tiny
EDitor) all the time. I loved it. If you like simplicity, it's beautiful.
It used XyWrite-compatible files, and was especially useful for tweaking
the ASCII codes, like deleting those pesky end-of-file codes (which used to
crash one of my email lists).

It had a nice document file. It had a simple F-key interface, and also used
Wordstar commands.

However, it didn't have word wrap, according to the docs. (XyWrite II was
the only small word processing program with word wrap that I know of.)

TED.COM must be available on the Internet. If you can't find it, and have
any use for it, or are just curious, I'll send you a copy. (All 2,984 bytes
of it.)

A lot of programmers wrote enhancements of TED.COM, so the source code must
have been floating around, or obvious. Maybe some of the Linux editors
could serve as a basis for a new Linux-based XyWrite.

BTW, you probably know this, but if you go to DOS in most Windows
installations, and type EDIT, you'll get the DOS editing program, which is
also nice, but doesn't have word wrap either.

Norman

At 11:01 PM 8/14/04 -0400, Harry Binswanger wrote:

>This is re the eventual death of XyWrite due to being not runnable on
>future OS's.
>
>Searching the web for a Xywrite-type editor, I hit upon "TED" for Linux:
>
>"TED is a multi-purpose text editor with IDE (integrated development
>environment) features for UNIX-like operating systems. It is not a word
>processor although it does provide some word processing facilities. TED has
>no internal restrictions on file length or line length.

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019
(212) 977-3223