Re: War to end (all) war(s)

A quick lookup in the OED (cd version, which makes searching so much easier) brings:
d. war to end war(s): a war which is intended to make subsequent wars
impossible; usu. spec. the war of 1914_18.

[1914 H. G. Wells (title) The war that will end war.] 1921 G. B. Shaw Back to Methuselah iv. 187 There was a war called the War to End War. In the war which followed it about ten years later, none of the soldiers were killed; but seven of the capital cities of Europe were wiped out of existence. 1932 P. Quennell Let. to Mrs. V. Woolf (1933) 17 He can recall barely five or six summers; then the War to End Wars and so good-bye. 1949 E. Benn Happier Days vi. 71 If_war debts between nations had been wiped off the slate, and reparations in money never attempted, the _war to end war' might have achieved its high purpose. 1953 Earl Winterton Orders of Day xxiv. 345 The Government of that day and the then leaders of opinion in general had assured us and the nation at large that it was _a war to end war'. 1967 W. Lippman in W. Safire New Lang. Politics (1968) 480/2 Each of the wars to end wars has set the stage for the next war. 1978 E. Malpass Wind brings up Rain ix. 99 Now_the War To End War was over. Once upon a time (actually at 02:58 AM 12/9/98 -0500), Eric Van Tassel sent out the following message: