War to end (all) war(s)

On 7-12-98, Catlyn  wrote (in part)

> ... the date -- December 7, which, in 1941, was the day this
> country, attacked by the Japanese, became active participants in "the
> War to end all Wars." ...

I hope I don't seem unkind to Catlyn (I don't mean to be) if, as a
professional nitpicker, I point out (a) that the phrase in quotes is
misquoted and (b) that it was coined to apply to a different war.

I don't own a reference book (surely there must *be* such a book?) that
identifies the origin or earliest appearance of proverbial or commonplace
phrases, so I can't say who first described World War I (then known as
simply "the World War" or "the Great War") as "the war to end war."

I decided that the phrase was proverbial or commonplace when, after being
unable to find it at all in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, I found it
in Bartlett only in the following passage whose context clearly implies