Re: so, if you had a....

** Reply to note from "William Allen"  on
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:04:02 -0600

I don't know much about Windows printing (next to nothing, in truth),
but you certainly could use PostScript with a XyWrite PostScript PRN
file. Ghostscript, which is free, does a beautiful job of WYSIWYG
display and print; they supply some basic fonts (you can add any
others you want), the engine, a GUI interface, most everything -- I
just don't know whether they have a device driver for your Brother.
(XyWWWWeb has a nice Ghostscript facility, which I haven't really
debugged yet for Windows, plus I want to completely change the way
XyWrite describes fonts to the PostScript interpreter; but it works
great under OS/2, adding the page description that XyWrite doesn't
supply; this evening I was playing with creating PDFs directly from
XyWrite, using XyShell, then displaying them in Acrobat to make sure
it really worked -- it does. PostScript is complex but amazingly
powerful.)

Alternatively, maybe you could print through the ATM (Adobe Type
Manager) -- I assume Windows has one.

When I bought an HP 1100A laser for the same reasons you bought the
Brother, HP specifically stated that you couldn't print directly to
the printer but had to go through their print manager. This is untrue.

If your Brother, or any printer, understands the PCL language, you
ought to be able to use just about any PCL PRN file and get some good
output, which you could send to the print queue.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx