Re: Diacritics in XW for E-Mail

>I assume it's the "scharfes s" that's at issue.

Tim, in Postscript this is called 'germandbls' and recently
on the OpenType list, where it has been much discussed,
it has often been called 'ess-tset.' There is a problem
in mapping it to uppercase, in that it usually translates
to SS in all-caps, but there are some rare instances where
it translates to SZ (as you would expect from the term
'ess-tset' which, by the way, I've a nervous feeling, I'm
misspelling). I get the feeling that in Germany scharfes s
is the most common term, but I really don't know. Perhaps
someone could elucidate?

Most type 1 small cap fonts have SS in the germandbls slot,
but OpenType has not yet dealt with the problem, hence
the discussion.

http://www.mail2web.com/ .