Re: Was OT--Win7 and disk partitions; now using Linux

** Reply to message from "William H. TeBrake"
 on Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:28:32 -0400

> have either of
> you tried to run NotaBene using one of the Windows emulators under
> Linux?

Not I. It would never occur to me. NB is written for Windows,
so I use it with Windows. In my opinion, it is an improper use
of Linux to try to create a multi-purpose computer -- a Windows
replacement. Because (money aside) Windows will do that better,
with a lot less geeky effort on user's part, and with an
unmatched range of out-of-the-box capabilities and choices. The
WHOLE POINT of a Unix-class operating system is to
compile/optimize the kernel to perform very specific tasks, as
efficiently as possible. Why are there so many different Linux
distros? Because they're targeted at particular uses (except in
the case of, say, a pop distro like Ubuntu, which does a lot but
isn't best in any class). For example, there is a REASON that
nearly every serious server in the world runs on a Unix box,
usually one of four or five flavors (FreeBSD, RHEL, CentOS, etc).

May I suggest: Buy a desk (you need one anyway). Buy a router
and some Ethernet cables. Place a Windows machine and a Linux
machine side-by-side (on the desk), and connect them with
NetBIOS/Samba so they talk to each other. Why is it always an
implied either/or? Truth is, you need two computers (minimum).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx