Was OT--Win7 and disk partitions; now using Linux

My venture into the Linux world began last week via, of all things,
purchase of a new cell phone that runs on Linux (Debian release), the
Nokia N900. Via its X-terminal I have so far learned how to gainroot
permission and tinker with a couple of its setup files. Even doing
that little bit has re-whetted my appetite for using a command-driven
operating system. Of course this is a rather trivial example -- what
after all can be accomplished on a cellphone? -- but I am quite
certain that I will soon acquire another computer and load Linux on
it.

I do have a question for Robert or Raphael, though: have either of
you tried to run NotaBene using one of the Windows emulators under
Linux? Yes, I'm an NotaBene lurker on this list: as an academic, I
am too dependent on using its bibliography and text-indexing modules
(Ibidem and Orbis) to use any other word processor. But I have also
used some of the gems from this list, especially U2, etc. Until
NotaBene (including Ibidem, Orbis, U2, etc.) can run reliably on
Linux, I will need to keep Windows XP around; I do find it to be a
very good operating system. Also, with regard to all the concern
about directory registry storage and virtual paranoia about viruses,
I find that basic protection and sensible usage has meant that I have
never found the need to go to such extraordinary lengths as recently
desribed on this list. Still, I find Linux intriguing and love the
incredible variety of totally free software available for it.

Best regards,

Bill TeBrake
UMaine History