Re: The Gender Genie [OT: very]

On Jun 7, at 6:33 PM, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Obviously whoever devised that suffered from the delusion that men
cannot cook. Having several very good male cooks in my family, I KNOW
that's a canard.
Now, *that's* funny. (Was that your clever conscious or your clever
unconscious?) (And, what is the etymology of 'canard' in that sense?)
Not to mention, of course, Carême, Escoffier, and all
the rest of those chèfs de la cuisine.
You know I ran a piece of my phil. of math. writing through and it
came out male. It is a pretty crude algorithm.
 (If you want to see my feminine food writing go to indyweek.com and
search auerbach. Good stuff, particularly if you like bread.)
The algorithm is pretty simplistic. Even the sophisticated AI people
don't do well with natural language.
Even in restricted domains things get messy--google "gene ontology"
to see an area where it matters. And don't believe anything (non-
skeptical) you read about the "semantic web".

Oh, soap box off.

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103