Re: OT: "literally"

Harry,
I don't get it. The use of "literally" as an intensifier of a metaphor I find very very annoying-- it makes me literally hit the ceiling. But Pogue's usage? While not elegant writing, it seems OK to me. He means there's no figure of speech here, he packed two laptops (i.e., it isn't hyperbole, he doesn't mean two operating systems, etc.).
 It's another kettle of fish entirely. No?